The fourth meeting of pilot countries participating in the Program for Scaling-up Renewable Energy in Low Income Countries (SREP) took place on October 30, 2012 in Istanbul, Turkey in association with the CIF 2012 Partnership Forum.
The meeting provided the opportunity for pilot countries and reserve countries to give updates on their progress with the SREP programming and implementation process. Participants also learned about various emerging financing instruments and shared their preliminary experiences. The final agenda for the SREP Pilot Country Meeting is available below.
Final Agenda (pdf)
List of Participants (pdf)
8:30 am: Registration
9:00 am – 9:30 am: Opening and Introduction
- The CIF Administrative Unit presented an overview of SREP.
9:30 am – 11:30 am: Updates from the SREP Pilot Countries
- To date, seven countries have joined the SREP as pilot countries, and investment plans from five of them have been endorsed by the SREP Sub-Committee while the other two countries aim to submit their plans for the November 2012 and March 2013 Sub-Committee meetings. Preparation of projects identified in the investment plans is also under way. During this session, SREP pilot countries updated participants on the progress they have made since the last pilot countries meeting in March 2012 and shared their experiences on implementation: Ethiopia, Honduras, Kenya, Maldives, Mali, Nepal, Tanzania (pdf)
11:30 am – 12:30 pm: Updates from the SREP Reserve Countries
- In addition to the current seven pilot countries, another four countries and one regional program (with a focus on two countries) have been identified, and funding has been made available for the preparation of their investment plans. In this session, these countries provided updates on the status and next steps in preparing their investment plans: Armenia, Liberia, Mongolia, Solomon Islands, Yemen (pdf)
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm: Lunch Break
1:30 pm – 3:30 pm: Emerging Financing Instruments, Business and Delivery Models
- This session introduced a number of examples to illustrate the use of various financing instruments, business and delivery models in Ethiopia, Armenia and Honduras. The session provided an opportunity for countries to share their preliminary experiences and to learn from each other.
- Presentation: Results based financing Energy+ Partnership between Ethiopia and Norway
3:00 pm – 3:30 pm: SREP M&E Show Case
- Nepal presented their M&E case study to the pilot countries and sought feedback on their approach. Countries discussed their experiences and identified common challenges in anchoring SREP M&E within the national M&E system.
3:30 pm – 4:00 pm: Briefing on Consultations for Sub-Committee Seats
- The CIF Administrative Unit Program Manager briefed pilot countries and responded to questions on the consultations for selecting countries to sit on the SREP Sub-Committee and Joint CTF-SCF Committee. The consultations were held in Istanbul on Monday, November 5, 2012.
4:00 pm – 4:30 pm: Ideas for the Next Meeting of SREP Pilot Countries
4:30 pm – 5:00 pm: Wrap-Up and Closing