Strategic Climate Fund
The Strategic Climate Fund (SCF) is one of the two funds of the Climate Investment Funds. It serves as an overarching framework to support three targeted programs with dedicated funding to pilot new approaches with potential for scaled-up, transformational action aimed at a specific climate change challenge or sectoral response.
Targeted programs under the SCF include:
- The Forest Investment Program (FIP), approved in May 2009, aims to support developing countries’ efforts to reduce emissions from deforestation and forest degradation by providing scaled-up financing for readiness reforms and public and private investments. It will finance programmatic efforts to address the underlying causes of deforestation and forest degradation and to overcome barriers that have hindered past efforts to do so.
- The Pilot Program for Climate Resilience (PPCR), approved in November 2008, was the first program under the SCF to become operational. Its objective is to pilot and demonstrate ways to integrate climate risk and resilience into core development planning, while complementing other ongoing activities.
- The Program for Scaling-Up Renewable Energy in Low Income Countries (SREP), approved in May 2009, is aimed at demonstrating the social, economic, and environmental viability of low carbon development pathways in the energy sector. It seeks to create new economic opportunities and increase energy access through the production and use of renewable energy.
Through its targeted programs, SCF is designed to:
- Provide experience and lessons through learning-by-doing.
- Channel new and additional financing for climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- Provide incentives for scaled-up and transformational action in the context of poverty reduction.
- Provide incentives to maintain, restore and enhance carbon-rich natural ecosystems, and maximize the co-benefits of sustainable development.
CIF's programs often cross across the Themes of climate resilience, energy efficiency, forests, renewable energy and transport.
Multilateral Development Bank Focal Points:
Kurt Lonsway, Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Abdoulaye Dagamaissa, Manager,email@example.com
Gareth Philips,Chief Climate and green Growth Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Joao Duarte Cunha,Chief Climate Finance Officer, email@example.com
Leandro Azevedo, CIF Private Sector and Finance Consultant,firstname.lastname@example.org
Ancha Srinivasan, Principal Climate Change Specialist, email@example.com
Jiwan Acharya, Climate Change Specialist (Energy), firstname.lastname@example.org
Cinzia Losenno, Sr.Environmental Specialist,email@example.com
Lorie Rufo, Sr.Climate Change Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Andreas Biermann, Senior Policy Manager, email@example.com
Marta Simonetti Whitford, Principal Manager, Donor Co-Financing, VP Policy, firstname.lastname@example.org
Craig Davies, Senior Manager,email@example.com
Gloria Visconti, Climate Change Lead Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Claudio Alatorre, Climate Change Lead Specialist, email@example.com
Alfredo Idiarte, CIF Private Sector Focal Point, firstname.lastname@example.org
Alfred Grunwaldt,Climate Change Senior Specialist, email@example.com
Gerard Alleng, Climate Change Senior Specialist,firstname.lastname@example.org
Joyita Mukherjee, Sr. Operations Officer, email@example.com
Kruskaia Sierra Escalante, Principal Counsel,KSierraescalante@ifc.org
Andrey Shlyakhtenko, Operations Officer, AShlyakhtenko@ifc.org
Laura Gaensly, Operations Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Gerhard Dieterle, Adviser for FIP and DGM, email@example.com
Kanta Kumari Rigaud, Lead Environmental Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Karan Capoor, Senior Energy Specialist, email@example.com
Madhavi Pillai, Sr.Natural Resources Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Federico Querio, Energy Specialist, email@example.com